Through The Lens Thursday: Movement

Through The Lens Thursday is a self-improvement photography project that Alison of Writing, Wishing and I are doing this year. See the bottom of the post for ways to join in!

I was so excited that the prompt for this week was “movement” while I was in Disney World. Could that not be more perfect, with all of the people, attractions, and sights to see?

I took it a couple of different ways. First, I wanted to slow the shutter speed way, way down to blur the movement. I propped my camera on a trash can to focus on Stitch, slowed the shutter speed to 1 second and tried to literally show the movement of all the people below. (Huge thanks to Laura for showing me how to do this.)

movement ISO 100 f-10 1.0sec

Then I wanted to stop the movement and capture it in a crisp image. I took this while we were waiting in line for a ride in Magic Kingdom.

movement2 ISO 200 f-2.8 1-4000sec

And lastly, this one. Laura actually took it (and I edited a little), and she wanted the castle to be more clear in the background, but in terms of movement, I love the way I’m in focus and the people behind me are all walking and blurred a little.

movement3 ISO 800 f-3.5 1-4000sec

Don’t forget to join our Flickr group or share your own posts if you’d like to follow along and work on your own photography! And use the hashtag #throughthelensthursday to connect with others working on it, too.

Next week’s prompt is WHITE.

through-the-lens-thursday-250x250-button

44 Responses to Through The Lens Thursday: Movement

1. Alison says:

I love the first one, that's so awesome! I didn't think to slow the shutter speed down so much to capture movement. So clever.

Love the last one too, because, you.

2. euregirlsandboys says:

I love these! The blurred movement in that first one and in the last one moving all around you is so perfect for Disney World. And the crisp clear water is awesome!

3. Alma says:

That water is standing so still in time but yet see the movement.
    Love the busyness of the first picture too.
    You look so pretty in the last one :)
    Love these!

4. vitatrain4life says:

I'm in awe of photographers! I especially love these because one year ago I was in Disney with my whole family and it was of the best trips we've ever taken. Thanks for slowing the movement for me today!

5. Kimberly says:

I agree that I like the last one showing the movement with the focus on you. Cause your purrrdeee

6. Bev says:

I had thought about doing a similar type of image as you did in your first one, but I feel like I haven't been around as much movement in the past weekend. I love the look of your last photo, with everything all blurred and soft in the background and you in focus.

• gretafunk says:

Thanks, Bev! It was definitely easier to find this kind of movement where I was, but I bet you could still do it! Maybe with car headlights, or people on the street or something.

7. Katie says:

The first one is along the lines of my idea that I have…but I have to remember to bring my camera to school to capture my idea. Let's see if that works.

The middle one is what I want to learn to do…freeze the movement in a crisp image.You probably need fastest shutter speed ever for that, yes?

And the bottom picture is just beautiful because, well, YOU.

• gretafunk says:

Aw, thanks, Katie! Did you ever try it at school? And yeah, I had a fast shutter speed for the water (1/4000th of a second!).

And nevermind, I just now saw your school picture–awesome!

8. Tara says:

Love that last one of you in focus, and everyone else a blur of motion. How did you get that effect?

• gretafunk says:

Let's see…the settings were: ISO of 800 (kind of high for as sunny as is was outside), aperture of 3.5 and shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second (really fast). The picture was originally a bit brighter, but I darkened it just a bit in editing.

9. Julia says:

I love the last one because I hate when you take a picture in a crowded place and have other peoples faces so clearly around you, the blurring affect makes it seem more intimate even though it's a picture of a very crowded place.

10. Leighann says:

Love all of them but my favourite is the last one, you are so crsp in the photo! Great job.

11. I love all those pictures, Greta! You girls are rocking this photo challenge!

12. Jennifer says:

I love all of the, especially the first one. You did a great job of capturing movement.

13. misselaineous0375 says:

Movement or not, I ADORE that photo of you! Love all the colors and your awesome smile. And yes, the background is pretty cool too. :)

14. Barbara says:

I love the last one – the blurred people in the background really make you pop.

15. Co-Pilot Mom says:

Oh LOVE it! I love the blur and the fact that you can see the movement.
    And that is a fabulous photo of you! :)

16. Lady Jennie says:

I'm so excited about next week's prompt because I just shot a white picture today! Now … how to squeeze that in to my French post . . .

I love the picture of you so much, not just because you look gorgeous, but for the same reasons you like it. And the other ones are great too – really great work here!

17. Janice Trinh says:

Cool. I've always liked those slow shutter speed shots. I think I did a few at Disneyland of the cars at night from above the parking structure…but I didn't think of it until I saw yours! haha!

I love this project, btw. Can't wait for next week!

18. galitbreen says:

Love your photos and your different takes on movement! Also, you look so HAPPY! I love that, too!

19. AngelaYBlood says:

Love the pics. The last one is my favorite, but oh wait I love the first one too. You are getting good.

20. girl, you rocked movement. I loved these two examples! I think the one of the blur of people passing on the street is my favorite.

• gretafunk says:

Thank you so much, Sarah! I really had no idea how to do the first one, so I was really glad to have Laura there to show me, and give me input as I tried taking a bunch of them.

21. about100percent says:

I love the last one – it almost looks like two photos put together.

22. bocafrau says:

Great pictures. Love the Stitch one and the one of you in front of the castle. :)